Translate

Friday, March 8, 2024

Don't Forget to Thank the Mentors in Your Life

Do you ever stop to think about the people in your life who have provided guidance, inspiration, and have positively influenced your career?  

I’ve been thinking a lot recently about the mentors I’ve been privileged to know and who have impacted me in different but profound ways.  They have encouraged me, given me confidence, and provided honest and needed feedback. There are so many people I have admired and who over my 43 year career have made time for me both as a teacher and a school leader: Julie Behrens, a patient and caring English teacher who took me under her wing my first year of teaching… Frank Gavel, a crusty former Marine and school administrator who kept me afloat through my first couple of years as an assistant principal… and Kate Fitzpatrick, Needham’s Town Manager whom I continue to rely on for advice, guidance, and often just to vent.

Other mentors have also played a significant role in shaping my trajectory as an educator and leader:

  • Fr. Paul Harman is a Jesuit and was one of my professors at Holy Cross College where he was the first to encourage me to consider teaching.  He believed I had the kind of energy and a belief in young people that are core to a successful educator.  He helped connect me to my first teaching position in Los Angeles, and he has continued to follow my career as superintendent and has encouraged me in a role that I never thought I’d have when I was a junior in his educational philosophy course all those years ago.


  • Fr. Thomas (“TJ”) James hired me for my first teaching job and coached me through some very challenging and difficult times at Verbum Dei High School.  TJ often came into my classroom after school with a smoldering cigarette dangling from his mouth (this was 1981!) and listen to my complaints about my students’ behavior or missing homework.  One day, through a smoky haze and as he quietly stared out the window, he explained that each of my students had a story to tell and it was my job to learn their stories so that I could best serve them. “Don’t pity them because they have challenging lives and circumstances; but know them for who they are and use that knowledge to secure their respect and empower their success.”


  • Dr. Anthony Bent offered me the principalship at Shrewsbury (MA) High School even though there were outstanding and more qualified administrators from Shrewsbury who also desired the role. Throughout our time together he reminded me that personnel was “Job #1” before anything else.  I learned from him that an organization flourishes or fails due to the quality, experience, and dedication of the human beings who are leading the learning both in the classroom and front office.  The curriculum is important, he’d say, but the adult who delivers that lesson to the child has a greater impact and influence than any textbook or syllabus.


  • Dr. Irwin Blumer chaired and guided my dissertation to success at Boston College in 2003. Dr. Blumer, a former and widely respected superintendent, was a no nonsense professor who had little time for whining about the difficulties of managing home, family, school, and graduate level work.  “You signed up for this, didn’t you?” he’d ask. Behind his sometimes brusque and frank demeanor was a man of incredible integrity who cared deeply about social justice and the need to elevate those who have been traditionally marginalized in the school setting, including students of color.  


Fr. Harman, Dr. Bent, and Dr. Blumer have all stepped back from their careers but continue to mentor and guide others.  They continue to lead lives of honor, principle, and strong character. I am indebted to each one of them and grateful for their mentorship.

Fr. James, TJ, died in the fall of 2022. Shortly before he passed away I had called him in Louisiana where he had retired to say hello and to express my gratitude for his patience and wise counsel all those years ago in California. On the phone his gravelly voice brought back memories of my many conversations with him, and we laughed together about the good, and sometimes hard, times he helped me through. Before we hung up and I thanked him one more time, he simply said, “Pass it on, Gutekanst.”

There is no time like now to connect with your mentors and thank them for all they have done for you.  For me, well I am going to work hard to take up TJ’s challenge.

Fr. Thomas James, SVD
Principal of Verbum Dei High School
Los Angeles, California
1980-86

 




No comments:

Post a Comment